Wednesday, March 05, 2014
3/5/2014, #55, 1st Quarter 2014
Lord Jesus, thank you for having mercy on me; for I am a sinful man. Thank you for shedding your blood to cover my sins.
And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!' (Luke 18:13)
Holy Spirit, bring to the humility of this tax collector. God, be merciful to me a sinner.
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." (Luke 18:14)
Father, thank you for sending your son Jesus to take my sins upon him on the cross.
Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-2)
Jesus, please give me strength to endure so that I may finish the race you have set before me. Thank you for all that you went through, Jesus, so that I can hope for your holiness in my life.
A word received: You are in my hand.
A word received: Give me your pain and your suffering.
Ash Wednesday: 95* & 32, 143 * 102, 130; Amos 5:6-15: Heb. 12:1-14: Luke 18:9-14
Thursday: 37:1-18 * 37:19-42; Hab. 3:1-10(11-15)16-18: Phil. 3:12-21: John 17:1-8
Notes from the Front Line
Daily: For our Bishop and for Holiness of life in every Episcopalian
MARCH 4 St. Stephen’s, Delmar –The Rev’d Adam Egan, The Rev’d Robert Heighton, The Ven. Dr. Harvey Huth, The Rev’d Lorraine Thurber, The Rev’d Paul Blanch
MARCH 5 Ash Wednesday – For the joy of repentance in every Christian heart – FAST DAY
***** St. Ann's, Amsterdam (37 Division Street) - invites you to join us for a Hymn Sing-Along, Saturday, March 8 at 6 pm, as we sing some of our favorite hymns. Come and join us in praising God in Song. Our evening will be led by Lisa Longe and Dcn. Alan Hart.
***** Diocesan Update March 4, 2014, A compendium of miscellany regarding things going on in the Diocese of Albany that you can attend and pray for.
Concert in the North Country
On Tuesday March 18, at 6 p.m., at St. Mark's Church, 34 Elm Street, Malone, NY, 12953, three Episcopal Priests, Fr. Nixon McMillan, Mtr. Hannah Mudge, and Mtr. Jill Stellman, will perform a program featuring the continuing musical heritage of the French, the English, and North Americans in this part of the 'New World,' the St. Lawrence River Valley. This concert for organ, violin and voice will include music for worship and community gatherings from pioneer days to the present. For more information, e-mail Mtr. Elizabeth Papazoglakis by clicking here.
An Evening of Dinner Theater
St. Paul's Players is pleased to announce "An Evening of Dinner Theater." On March 28th and 29th at 6:30 pm at St. Paul's Church, 21 Hackett Blvd., Albany, NY 12208, the Players will be performing two comedic one act plays: Babel Rap by John Lazarus and 30 Minutes to Charlie by Nick Zagone. Both plays will be directed by the Rev. David Haig. Babel Rap imagines the story of two construction workers on the Tower of Babel. 30 Minutes to Charlie is set in a hospital emergency room in Las Vegas on 9/11/01, where two businessman have been brought after being injured, but have no idea what has taken place in New York. Tickets are $20 and there is plenty of free parking. For tickets call the church office at 518-463-2257. Dinner includes non-alcoholic beverages, BYOB/W(ine).
Men's Cursillo Weekend
The next Men's Cursillo Weekend will be held from March 20th - 23rd at Christ the King Spiritual Life Center. If you are interested in deepening your walk with the Lord, speak with your Rector about attending this weekend.
Healing a Woman's Soul
Healing a Woman's Soul will be sponsoring a caregivers' retreat on Saturday, April 26 at St. Paul's Church, 21 Hackett Blvd, Albany, NY 12208 from 9:30 am to 4 pm. This is geared to women who take care of someone at home or in any other setting. If you're too busy to have a life of your own; if every day seems gray but you don't even notice; if you're wondering what this "stop and smell the roses" thing is all about, then consider attending this retreat. The cost is $15 and includes lunch. The presenters will be Mtr. Anne Curtin and Mtr. Jackie Dowling.
Deanery Lenten Healing Serivces
In order to help keep a holy Lent, the Diocese is holding a Lenten Healing Service in each Deanery this Lent. The services will include testimonies and time for healing prayer. The schedule for the healing services is as follows:
Thursday, March 6th, 7 pm, Christ Church, 970 State St., Schenectady, NY 12307
Sunday, March 9th, 4 pm, St. Luke's, 50 William St, Catskill, NY 12414
St. Lawrence Deanery
Tuesday, March 13th, 7 pm, Trinity, 8 Maple St, Potsdam, NY 13676
Southern Adirondack Deanery
Thursday, March 27th, 7 pm, The Church of the Messiah, 296 Glen St # 1, Glens Falls, NY 12801
Northern Adirondack Deanery
Thursday, April 3rd, 7 pm, Church of St. Luke, the Beloved Physician, 136 Main St, Saranac Lake, NY 12983
Western Mohawk Deanery
Tuesday, April 8th, 7 pm, Emmanuel, 588 Albany St, Little Falls, NY 13365
Wednesday, April 9th, 7 pm, TBA
Upper Hudson Deanery
Thursday, April 10th, 7 pm, Christ Church, 15 West High St, Ballston Spa, NY 12020
St. Luke's Church, 4 St. Luke's Place, Cambridge, NY 12816 will be hosting a Healing Conference on March 15th from 9:30 am until 4 pm. The Conference will be presented by Michael and Christine Hales of Kingdom Arts Ministries, Philmont NY. There is no cost for the conference, however a free will offering will be taken. Drinks and refreshments will be provided but a bagged lunch is recommended.
***** Mudge Missionary Prayer Mail for March 5
Dear partners in prayer,
This coming Sunday, daylight savings time emerges. For students in Belize, that means that we move you from our Chicago time to our Mountain time on Sunday. So, beginning Sunday at 2 am, there will be 2 hour time difference between Belize and New York.
This week's selective overview:
1) One course ended. Helped get a new course launched; worked on course updates.
2) Have been submitting updated assessments concerning some people in the ordination process, to the Bishop of Belize.
3) Julie and I had good missionary presentations at the Diocese of Connecticut Missions Conference on Saturday. We represented SAMS admirably. Several people were interested in what we are doing, and my illustrations of missionary life were eye opening.
4) Sunday, I preached as part of World Mission Sunday at a parish in upstate New York. Very well received. The message application was timely for the parish. That seems to be happening rather frequently, lately: I deliver my remarks prayerfully, that (unbeknownst to me) turn out to be relevant to particular questions that people had been raising, just a day or so before. Both in Belize and the U.S. The Holy Spirit is at work. Thank you for praying.
5) How are we doing, numbers-wise? Since the beginning of Advent, 118 individual people have been exploring our Google Library links site (open to the public world-wide), 9 new people since I last mentioned it: http://goo.gl/XXF0Ti. The Moodle course site is up to 29 participants (courses are open to those with passwords). That is a very good number, up 5 more from the last time that I mentioned it.
1) For my next trip to Belize, beginning in about half a week. Whether I will have Internet access is always an interesting question. I will be on the Bishop's timetable and agenda: T.B.A. and when the time is right.
2) Pray for plans under consideration. Julie and I sense the presence and guidance of the Holy Spirit through it all. Your prayers are very helpful.
3) Pray that our parish and presentation visitation schedule be the Holy Spirit's schedule.
4) Pray that the Holy Spirit would guide and supply the needs of: faculty, family, finances, plans, programs, diocesan plans, and parish visits.
In Christ, Shaw+, and on behalf of Julie+