"Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly. Matthew 6:1-4 (NKJV)
Holy Spirit, move us to a life of charitable deeds done as Jesus would have us do them.
"Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. Matthew 6:16-18 (NKJV)
Holy Spirit, help me hide my fasting from the sight of others.
So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; James 1:19 (NKJV)
Jesus, help me wait on your times and seasons before speaking. Please give me ears to hear what you want me to say.
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. James 1:22 (NKJV)
Father, help me hearken to your word and do it.
For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. James 1:23-24 (NKJV)
Jesus, help me remember how far you have brought me.
Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. James 1:27 (NKJV)
Jesus, help me visit those in need of comfort.
And all the king's servants who were within the king's gate bowed and paid homage to Haman, for so the king had commanded concerning him. But Mordecai would not bow or pay homage. Esther 3:2 (NKJV)
Father, thank you for those who honor you above those with earthly power.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Psalm 46:1-2 (NKJV)
Dad, you are my strength and refuge.
There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High. Psalm 46:4 (NKJV)
Jesus, let your living waters flow through my heart and wash away all the filth there. Let living water flow out of my heart to others.
The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Psalm 46:11 (NKJV)
LORD of Hosts, thank you for being with us.
A Word Received: Wait on me; let me be your guide: I will direct you on the right path.
CITY MISSION PRAYER TABLE, Torre Bissell and Chuck Rinaldo, September 20, 2018
+ received cross
1. Miguel – Blessings from the Lord to surprise him with His joy. Let him recognize God's nuggets of blessings in every situation.
2. Paul – Pray for all the men in the residence that they come to the realization of their need to know Jesus as a personal friend.
3. + Nicole – Pray for her mom, Mary Lou. God knows the details.
4. Prince – Pray that his apartment will pass inspection, and that he will find favor in the eyes of the other people at the Mission.
5. Dan – Pray for his grandson, Jackson, who turns 2 on the 20th, for God's blessings. Also pray for God's will to be done for his friend Craig who is in county jail.
6. Joe – Finishing up the 1st phase and he is looking forward to the 2nd phase. Lord, continue to bless him and transform his life.
7. Jordan – Lord, surprise him with Your joy as he is energized with your Holy Spirit to be the face of Jesus to the crowd.
8. Justin – Needs a job, has had interviews, but the process seems too long because he needs an income now. Pray against any anxiety that comes from this. We pray the Lord open the doors for him to have a good job. Justin asked for a 2nd blessing.
9. Tyisha – She had knee surgery and will be in a cast for 6 weeks. We pray for complete healing.
10. Greg – He will be going in for knee surgery. We pray for a successful procedure and for complete healing.
11. + Warren asked for prayer for his health. Heal him Lord, strengthen and sustain him.
12. Carlos – Pray that he will keep his eyes focused on Jesus. That he will hear the Lord's call for his life in what he says and what he does.
13. Gayle – Her friend Patty in New York City has a 22 year old grand daughter who has a blood clot in her lungs. We pray that the Lord will dissolve it and that she will be totally healed.
14. Bruce – Pray for his grandson Wes, that he continue to grow normally, and will grow up to be the person God has planned for him.