Then He taught them many things by parables, and said to them in His teaching:
"Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow. And it happened, as he sowed, that some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds of the air came and devoured it. Some fell on stony ground, where it did not have much earth; and immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of earth. But when the sun was up it was scorched, and because it had no root it withered away. And some seed fell among thorns; and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no crop. But other seed fell on good ground and yielded a crop that sprang up, increased and produced: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred." And He said to them, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear!" Mark 4:2-9 (NKJV)
Yesterday's Bible study helped me see this parable in a new light. In the past I had seen the various soils as descriptive of different groups of people. Yesterday I saw that the entire parable is descriptive of my life. There are well-trodden paths in my life where the path is hard-packed and no seed can grow there. There are stony places in my life where my heart is still hardened and nothing can grow there. There are places in my life where the thorns and cares of the world grow up and choke off the word of God to me. And, there are those places in my life where the Holy Spirit moves freely and I produce a harvest for the kingdom.
For thus says the LORD to the men of Judah and Jerusalem: "Break up your fallow ground, and do not sow among thorns. Jeremiah 4:3 (NKJV)
Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground, for it is time to seek the LORD, till He comes and rains righteousness on you. Hosea 10:12 (NKJV)
Both prophets speaking for God command us to break up the fallow grown that has grown hard for lack of use and where throns and weeds have grown up to choke off good growth.
Lord, help me by hour Holy Spirit to break up the fallow grounds in my life so that I can produce a harvest for your kingdom. Thank you.
A Word Received: Let my word speak to your heart and do not be afraid of where I will lead you.
CITY MISSION PRAYER TABLE, Chuck Rinaldo, July 11, 2019
+ received cross
1. Miguel is adjusting to the work of the dining room demands, and is grateful for the grace that God provides in dealing with things that are normally outside his expertise. He gives credit to the Lord for His help that has allowed him grow in this service at the Mission.
2. Alvin gave a praise the Lord that he is grateful for what the Lord is doing in his life. We pray that he continue to acknowledge and PTL as he grows in his walk with the Lord.
3. Ray – We pray that he will serve with the joy of the Lord in his heart.
4. Ada gave a PTL that the brain scan showed no abnormalities and that the tingling in his hands is due to the medications he is taking. The doctor plans to adjust his medications to address the tingling. Ada also was grateful for the relief of the anxiety about the test and what he has been experiencing. We claim God's healing and victory for Ada.
5. Craig – The desire of his heart is to visit his parents before it's too late, since his dad has dementia. We pray that the Lord will make a way for Craig to see his parents and that it will be a blessed time. We also pray for Craig's health, that the Lord give him discernment in how to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
6. Gail believes she has found the person who may have taken her dog to Vermont. This person has a reputation of doing unlawful acts. Gail has enlisted the Schenectady Police but has not gotten any help. We pray for Gail to use Godly wisdom for how to handle this situation. We also pray for the return of her dog in good health. We come against all the anxiety she is experiencing as a result of all that has happened. We pray the Lord make a way to a resolution.
7. + Tehena has a problem at her apartment which is causing her financial and mental stress. We pray for a hedge of protection around her and for the Lord's provision to restore her property and her security.
8. Connie gave a PTL for Jesus' help in her life.
9. + Rob just asked for a general prayer for an abundant life in Christ.
10. ++ Linda asks for prayer for her family for God's provision, protection, health and hope in the Lord. (Mother, Virginia; brothers- Gordon and Richard; sister's- Samantha, Lisa and Teresa.)
11. Jordan – We pray for the Lord to continue to sustain Jordan, to protect his health, to energize him in the joy of the Lord to do the work at the Mission. He will be attending the funeral of a childhood friend, and we pray for the Lord to enable him to comfort the family.
12. Torre – Pray for a blessed visit with his family and for the Lord's protection as he travels.
THERE WILL BE NO PRAYER TABLE ON JULY 18. Please continue to lift up the staff, the volunteers and all those who come to the Mission.